Dec 23, 2008

My views

I am starting to realize the benefits of paying attention to HR while running. In the past I have been doing pretty much the same pace no matter how long the runs were thus causing my long runs to be a little too hard and my short runs to be much easier than they should be. Sunday called for a 12 mile run with a HR below 130 for the first 8 miles and then I was supposed to pick it up the last 4 miles to half marathon pace. The first 8 miles were very slow. I kept hearing the garmin go off that my heart rate was too high, but I couldnt really go any slower. I was putting along at times over a 10 minute mile. Way too slow if you ask me! But this allowed me to enjoy the views that sometimes I forget to notice:




This is something I will miss in Mexico - running outside with these amazing views. I am hearing more and more that I have to live on a treadmill during the week and head out of town on the weekends to run in order to save my lungs from all the smog in the city. I hate treadmill runs. I dont really like running, but treadmill runs are the worst. At least outside I can distract myself with this...

After the first 8 miles my legs were a little tired, but other than that I felt like I hadnt really done anything. I was excited to pick up the pace and see what I could do. I started out with 8 min pace, and that felt good, so I picked it up to a 7:30 pace. I was able to hold between 7:15 and 7:30 for the entire 4 miles. The legs were burning, but it felt good. I am getting excited to see what I will be able to do in Houston.

Yesterday my legs were a little sore, but I was supposed to go for an easy jog. However, the day got away from me and everyone wanted to have sunset drinks. I had an iced tea and planned to run after. The plan faded when it got dark and I got hungry. So I went home and got on the trainer for a while. Here we are having the drinks. See I had good intentions! I am in my running clothes and everything!



Legs are feeling great again today (the spinning really helps) and I am off for another hard-ish run around the island. Then we are off to Barak-stalk. Hopefully I will have some pictures to show everyone.

No comments: