May 17, 2010

I am still here

I haven't been writing much, because, well there isnt too much going on. I guess I could write about the cooler weather, constant power outages in our neighborhood, or the fact that I went on a sugar binge on saturday and ate three krispy kremes, but it didnt seem like anything worth mentioning. I think the sugar binge caused me to sleep through my alarm on sunday. This has NEVER happened. Not in my years in school, not all through university and never after. I have no clue what happened, except I know I woke up to a dogs arse in my face at 8:20AM. So needless to say the race was missed. I was totally bummed, but realized that there is a race here every weekend and I could use the time to get on the trainer again.
I am one week into Pilates and I love it so far. It is a totally new way to exercise for me and I am definitely using muscles I havent ever used or havent used in a log time. I am taking a semi private class twice a week for one month and may bump that up to three times a week next month. It may just replace the hole in my heart left from not being able to swim. As much as we love Mexico City, it has been a huge change in so many ways. Most of them are good, but the worst change is that racing tris here is pretty much hopeless. I cant wait until the day we are back in a place that is easy to train in and has races within driving distance. I was especially bummed out because one of my favorite races was this past weekend - the Honolulu Tri. Congrats to everyone racing it! I was thinking about you all when I was on my trainer on Sunday and I think it made me go extra hard!
Even though it isnt feasable to train on a tri bike in the city, there are other ways to ride. I cant remember if I mentioned this, but Mexico City has started a new program called Eco Bici. It is very similar to what they have in Paris, Spain, the netherlands, etc where you basically pay a fee for the year (here it is less than $25 USD) and you can rent the bikes. You go to a stand and pick up a bike and ride it and then drop it off at any other stand. They dont have them all over the city yet, but they have started them in our neighborhood and all by the park and my office. It took about 5 times as long as it should to actually get a card and we had to visit the office three times, but we finally have full access to these bikes. Mom, no comments about not having a helmet - I am just testing out to make sure the card actually works here.


Unfortunately it rained the entire weekend so we havent had a chance to use them yet, but I think Chris is so excited he has decided to walk the dogs using the bike instead of his skateboard.

No comments: