Chris came across this blog post the other day when he was searching for stupid triathlon outfits. He hates the suits that the guys wear for triathlon and endlessly makes fun of them. On a side note, he feels this way just about the lycra. He loves the shoes, equipment, glasses, etc, and has been sporting his yellow zoots that he wears in the yearly Houston half marathon and turkey trot on an almost daily basis. Apparently I am not the only one who cares about what I wear when I train or race. He really wants to do a race, but refuses to wear what the rest of the guys wear. I personally think it would be pretty sweet to have him kicking ass in some quicksilver shorts, but I can see his point. When we go to the triathlon and running stores in Houston there is such a limited amount for guys in mostly boring colors, and there are tons of stuff for girls. Even the lululemon has about 3/4 of the store for women only. I guess it is because most guys dont care about what they look like when they race?
Anyway, back to the point of the post. He showed me this blog post and we spent the next hour having a very in depth conversation about triathlon vs running. Im sure some of you have seen this on slowtwitch as well. While I do agree with some of his points, for example 1) yes it costs a fortune to pay to race a sanctioned ironman event and 2) Yes we have tons of gear to lug around - and I do respect other people's opinions, I of course have many issues with this post. But I found it entertaining/funny to read as well as read the back and forth comments, which is why I am posting it today. If you are bored at work, now you have something to do. Maybe this guy should get out there and actually do a triathlon before making these generalizations about triathletes. I personally love the races, the training (most of the time), the post parties and especially the new friends I have made. If I didnt, I wouldnt continue to do it because it does take a lot of time. And yes there are jerks who do triathlons, but I dont think it is any higher of a percentage than the jerks who dont do triathlons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
The day that blog came out it showed up in my "Google News." I was astounded by it, so I posted the link on my twitter, and I think that triggered a lot of people to start making comments bashing Charlie's take on the sport. Don't piss off triathletes I guess, lol ;) Yea, Charlie raises some interesting points, but I think his arguments are weak and ignorant when it comes to the sport... he obviously doesn't get it.
Funny that the blog is still circulating around!
Hah! I was about to say... Tawnee sent that to me one day. We also had a conversation minutes ago about what I'm about to say.
I was about to say that the sport isn't stupid. A lot of the people are, but you're right... there isn't a higher percentage of jerks doing tri than not. The problem with the jerks in tri is, they have blogs and twitter. I wish a lot of them would just stfu. Charlie included.
wow that was an INSTENSE blog... he is definitely a hater but i think some of it really is true... unfortunately :)
Post a Comment