May 24, 2011

I am an IRONMAN!



I know I am about 3 days late with this, but I finished Ironman Texas! I am going to do a full race recap (dont worry, it will be in parts) over the weekend since I am traveling for work right now, but overall I had the best experience of my life! I loved every second of the race and never once thought that I wanted to sell my bike to the stranger on the side of the road in the middle of the ride and quit triathlon for good. Going into it I thought the swim would be a piece of cake, but after a really bad start and busted nose and lip, it was the worst part of the day. And my nemesis, the bike, is now my friend and I really had no issues on that portion of the race. So I guess it really is true that you cant predict anything in an ironman. I wasnt sure what to expect since it was a first time event, but it was amazing - the directors did an excellent job! The volunteers were out in full force and couldnt have been more amazing. I made sure to chat them up all along the way and thank them even when I felt like crap, and it always made me feel better. The spectators were out there even after dark and there were a few parts along the run where the fans were standing outside of the bars cheering well into the night. I am ready for my next one (and if Chris lets me, I may even do IMTX again).
I had some great pieces of advice that I used throughout the day that really helped me cross the finish line:
1) No matter how bad you feel, you will always get better and no matter how good you feel you will always get worse. This was my mantra throughout the first half of the bike and first 17 miles of the run when I was so nauseus I couldnt get anything down.
2) Take it one step at a time and never think about what is next. When I was on the bike I would not let myself even think about the run coming up. If I had, I think I might have quit altogether.
3) The race is a just three long training days put together. First a long swim, then a long ride, then a long run. All of them I had done before with no problems.
4) SMILE - even when I felt like crap, I smiled and it always made me feel better.

I only got through this with lots of support from my family, friends, virtual friends and my coach (who rocked out a 2nd place finish at IMTX!!), and of course, most importantly, Chris. He has put up with my crap, taken care of me, cooked my meals, cleaned my clothes, set up my powertap, made sure I got to sleep early, taken care of the dogs, and made sure I was able to function on a daily basis, and for all of this, I am so grateful. It means so much to have someone who supports my crazy habit! Oh, and he is in the process of making a video of the whole event that I will post! Seriously? What a bad ass!

2 comments:

Maggs said...

Congrats. Can't wait to read all the details. I'm considering texas for next year. sounds like there will be a lot of bloggers there.

RR said...

I just signed up for it again. You should totally do it! It would be so fun to meet everyone in person!!