Jun 21, 2009

Sometimes it just isnt your day

And today I had one of those days. I have been sick almost all week with something like the flu - fever, nausea, and sore throat. But I rested all week, hydrated and all around took care of myself (I actually even took one day off of work I was so sick). So I thought I was ready for the half marathon today, but I was wrong. Last night I just didnt feel like eating, which is rare, so I forced some dinner down and went to bed. This morning I felt a little worse, but again got some food and some pepto and immodium in me and we were on our way. We got to the race site with plenty of time because the race was postponed 30 minutes (chris not happy on losing out on an additional 30 minutes of sleep). We all lined up and I could just tell my body wasnt acting normal. I felt flulike and really wanted to go back to bed. The gun went off and right away I had to pee (this has never happened to me in a race), so I pulled aside and proceeded to pee all over myself (it's ok it was all water) while about 10 cars full of people drove by and honked. Great. After that I felt better for a little while and then it happened, my nausea kicked in. We hit a water stop and they were handing out plastic bags full of water that you had to tear with your teeth. I tore one and for some reason I started to gag, then dry heave. So I slowed waaay down to get my stomach under control. I would speed up and dry heave, then slow down and get better. Around mile 6, after 4 water stops I actually started throwing up. I would be running, drink water, throw up, slow down and walk until I could get moving again. It was a cycle the rest of the way to the finish line. Needless to say I had a PW in the race, but a PR in the copious amounts of vomit that came out of me. At the finish a guy came up to me and started to tell me that I kept passing him and then would walk and he would pass me. He tried to tell me I needed to get into a rhythm. I told him that it was hard to get into a rhythm while throwing up every kilometer. Then I pointed to my shorts and shirt that were saturated from water and barf, and he walked away. I came home, showered and took a nap. I am feeling better on the stomach front, but I got myself so dehydrated that I feel like I ran a marathon, when I actually barely walked a half. Oh well, I am sure I learned something from this race, I just havent figured it out yet. I have two more races in the following two weeks and hopefully I can have a better showing. Here are some pictures from the race - dont worry, noone caught me in the act. At least I dont think they did.
Here I am in a pre-race stretch. I think the only one I actually did. I used to be much more flexible.

I think I was actually laughing at how bad I felt. Not sure.

Here we are right before I left to start.

And here is a photo chris took of the start. It was a huge race as you can tell. I think they said 11,000 people and unfortunately most of them finished before me.

And here are some random pictures from yesterday. My mom has been asking me to take photos of the outside of our apt. So here they are...
Our building

And mom, here is the other side of the street.

And here I am on another trip to get Dr. Pepper. I think every child who grows up in Texas has to love Dr. P.


Good luck to Todd and Scott at Coeur d'Alene and everyone else racing this weekend. And happy father's day to all the dad's out there.

1 comment:

beth said...

ugh. sounds like a really rough day....BUT AT LEAST YOU LOOKED CUTE!!!!!

btw. (From your list on the post below) i am so freaking jealous of your whole maid situation. i want one. but i definitely see the pros and cons- good luck with that monster being created!