Jun 30, 2009

PR and PW again

Another weekend, another race. I hadnt run really at all since the last race and could definitely tell when I started my warm up. I could feel that extra layer of fat around my stomach and was not excited about it. I was still all snotty and couldnt breathe, and was telling Chris that I was probably going to just run the 5K instead, but I was happy not to be nauseous.
Here I am doing the pre-race stretch. I often only get one in before I get bored. I am not sure why I am stretching my arms. Maybe I was secretly hoping for a swimming race.

The race started and it took me about 5 minutes to get to the start line, and the first mile was full of people of all different paces, so it was dodging left and right for a while. After that I got into a groove and was actually feeling ok. At the 4K mark the 10K race and 5K race split off and I was so tempted to split off with them but I kept going. At the 5K mark I looked at the Garmin and realized I had PRed the first 5K with a 20:59, meaning the last 5K that was uphill was going to hurt. At the next water stop I accidentally got the wrong cup with some over powdered power ade crap and that just sent me downhill. Quickly the stomach started revolting and I had to run into the bathroom (luckily we were in the park so it didnt take too long to find one). I paid my 5 pesos and went in and round trip it took about 9 minutes to get back in the race, but it was worth it not having to drop trou in front of the 3000 men, women and kids running in the park. I got back in and started passing people and then at the finish had a slight asthma attack that I tried hard to ignore since it was only for the last .2miles. The last 5K (including bathroom break) was a new PW. I know what I need to work on - my last 5k. Or I can just start to race 5Ks and be done with it.
Here I am in the finish - Chris's awesome photog skeelz.

Here is what Chris does to amuse himself during the time I am running and/or going to the bathroom. He takes pictures of little kids eating churros.


I thought I had a race this weekend, but I cant find anything online so it either got canceled or it never existed, which means I have one more race (a 10miler) before the NYC Half Marathon. It also means that saturday will include a comida to celebrate the 4th. Chris will be happy he doesnt have to make me coffee before the sun comes up.

1 comment:

Terrish B said...

I think that you and I have been sick at the same time. I was blowing massive snot rockets on Sunday during my race. I hope that you are feeling better. You did an amazing job!!!